Sunday 10 May 2015

Comox Valley Biannual Rotary Club Booksale - Purchases

This past week was the biannual book sale hosted by the local Rotary Club. It ran from 6 - 9 May and I'm sure, as always, was well-attended. I went on the first day, right after work, and found 20 books, at an excellent cost of $5 for each group of 3 books. I went back Saturday morning for the last day. On the last day, you can get a bag of books for $7 and I managed to find another 14 books. I've updated all my various book lists now and found places for all the new books. I even vetted my existing books and will be bringing a few to my local used book store as trade ins. So all in all a very successful visit. If you're interested, I'll go through all the books I managed to find, a nice mix, even with my leaning towards mysteries these days. I won't write down the synopsis for each book as I usually do because it'll be a fairly big list, but I hope you find some that might peak your interest. So here we go, starting with mysteries. (I did tend to stick to series I've already started, but there are books by a couple of new authors I've been looking out for)

MYSTERIES

1. Fred Vargas - Seeking Whom He May Devour (Commissaire Adamsberg #2)

2. Tom Robb Smith - The Secret Speech (Leo Demidov #2)
3. P.D. James - A Mind to Murder (Adam Dalgleish #2)
4. Georgette Heyer - Duplicate Death (Inspector Hemingway #3)
5. Georgette Heyer - They Found Him Dead (Inspector Hannasyde #3)
6. J.T. Ellison - When Shadows Fall (Samantha Owens #3)
7. John Burdette - Bangkok Tattoo (Sonchai Jitplecheep #2)
8 - 10. M.C. Beaton - The Fairies of Fryfam (#10), The Perfect Paragon (#16), The Deadly Dance (#15) (all from the Agatha Raisin mystery series)
11. David Baldacci - King and Maxwell (#6 of the King and Maxwell series)
12. Dorothy L. Sayers - Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey)
13. Val McDermid - Beneath the Bleeding (Tony Hill #5)
14. Meg Gardiner - The Liar's Lullaby (Jo Beckett #3)

WAR / SPY
1. Alan Furst - Kingdom of Shadows (Night Soldiers #6)
2. David Downing - Silesian Station (John Russell #2)
3. John le Carré - A Murder of Quality (George Smiley) (1962)

MODERN FICTION
1. Graham Greene - Doctor Fischer of Geneva or the Bomb Party (1980), Ministry of Fear (1943) and Travels with my Aunt (1969)
2. P.G. Wodehouse - Joy in the Morning (Jeeves and Wooster) (1949)
3. Nevil Shute - Trustee from the Toolroom (1960)
4. Evelyn Waugh - Scoop (1938)
5. Daphne du Maurier - The Blue Lenses and other Stories (1959)
6. E.M. Forster - A Passage to India (1924)

SPORT
1. W.P. Kinsella - The Iowa Baseball Confederacy (1986)

ADVENTURE
1. George MacDonald Fraser (4 Flashman adventures) - Flashman at the Charge (#4, 1973),  Flashman for Freedom (#3, 1971), Flashman's Lady (#6, 1977), and Flashman & the Great Game (#5, 1975)

SCI/FI
1. J.G. Ballard - Running Wild (1988)
2. William Gibson - Virtual Light (Bridge #1, 1993)

CLASSICS

1. George Eliot - Silas Marner (1861)

2. Anne Bronte - The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (1848)

So there you go. See anything that interests you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails