Friday 19 December 2014

Top Ten Lists - Songs from my USB, Music of the 2010's +

Ahhh, the weekend is here. We had some rain, but also some nice sunny weather. I got my new glasses this morning, finding them very comfortable so far. Also this is my last day of shaving until the end of February; for out No-Snow Fest Beard Growing contest. Sorry, Jo, expect some whiskery smooches for the next little while.

So I'm winding down my Top Ten Lists for 2014, this one is music from the 2010 - 2014s added to my USB this past year. There were so many new groups/ artists that I discovered this past year, many from the Virgin Radio song charts, but also from BBC Radio 2's weekly playlist amongst others. Some excellent songs will have to rest as 'shout outs'; music by Hey Ocean!, Lana del Rey, Trevor Guthrie, Ballet School and Ariana Grande amongst others. I hope you like my Top Ten. Without further ado, here they are.

10. Shawn Hook - Every Red Light - Starting off with a British Columbia boy, Mr. Shawn Hook. This song is from his 2012 album, The Cosmonaut and the Girl. It's a great pop ballad and I do like how the pace and tempo change around the middle. A great thumping beat throughout. Excellent song. Check out So Close as well.

9. Imogen Heap - Run-Time - I've only started listening to English singer/ songwriter, Imogen Heap, this past year and I've really come to love her unique sound. She's been around since the late 1990's, both as a member of Frou-Frou and as a solo artist. This song came out in 2014, love her voice and the orchestration. Check out First Train Home as well.

8. Elle Henderson - Glow - Next is X-Factor contestant Elle Henderson. What a voice! I didn't know what song of hers, from her first album, to pick, this song or her first single, Ghost. Both are excellent. But Glow is such an awesome song, which builds and builds and always features her wonderful voice.

7. First Aid Kit - My Silver Lining - First Aid Kit are a Swedish duo, Johanna and Klara Soderberg who remind me somewhat of one of the groups Jo likes, The Pierces, but with more twang to their music. Once again, I've had difficulty between two of their songs, My Silver Lining and Stay Gold. Enjoy this song and try and check out the other.

6. Mamas Gun - Hello Goodnight - Back to England for this great group, Mamas Gun, described as an electric groove band. The group is from London and I've got three songs running around my head at the moment; Red Cassette which reminds me of Steely Dan, Only One which features Beverley Knight and this song, Hello Goodnight. What a great sound!

5. Kylie Minogue - Into the Blue - I could have picked a Kylie Minogue song from each of the other three periods if I'd discovered them in 2014; she's such a talent. Not the best voice in the world, but her songs suit her voice and she has such a great pop sensibility. I had two songs in mind for my Top Ten; I Was Going to Cancel and Into the Blue, both of which have been released in 2014 from her album, Kiss Me Once. Into the Blue is the more intricate song and definitely a grower. Such a beautiful woman!

4. Jesse J - Bang Bang - (with Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj) I think I heard this song first about a month ago and it's quickly become a favourite of mine. This is my finger snapping song of this period. Try and stop. :) The girl can sing and the others aren't too bad either.

3. Clean Bandit - Extraordinary - Clean Bandit is a British electronic (classical) group out of Cambridge and features Jack and Luke Patterson, Grace Chatto and Milan Neil Amin-Smith. This is one of my favourite groups of the 2010's and I've been troubled trying to pick between 3 songs; Rather Be (featuring Jess Glynne on vocals), Extraordinary (featuring Sharma Bass) or Mozart's House. I've picked Extraordinary because it's such a joyous, beautiful song and features a wonderful mix of electronic and classic sound. But make sure to try all three of the songs, each is unique and great.

2. The Adventure Club - Gold - Moving over to Montreal, Canada for song number 2. The Adventure Club is made up of duo Christian Srigley and Leighton James and features some powerful electronic music. Try out Gold or Wonder, both are excellent.

1. The Bombay Bicycle Club - Luna - Moving back to London's Crouch End for my final selection. The Bombay Bicycle Club is an Indie rock/ folk band and I love how Luna builds, such a wonderful song. I love how it starts off slowly, then builds and I like the orchestration and even the video. The song features the haunting voice of Rae Morris, a young singer out of Blackpool.

There were so many songs to choose from for this period. I hope I've provided a mix and that you find something you can enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails